Posted by StreetWise in From The DirectorPlease help StreetWise continue delivering critical services to people in need by making a donation this holiday season.
StreetWise provides a crucial lifeline for individuals at a time when they most need it. Within eight hours of entering our doors an individual can begin making a living, regardless of that person’s background or present situation. There are few organizations, if any, in Chicago that can make this claim.
StreetWise is more relevant now than ever. Since January 2011, Illinois has dropped 89,000 people from its employment rolls. As reported by the Illinois Policy Institute , Illinois lost more jobs during the month of July than any other state in the nation. The report goes on to state that Illinois’s unemployment rate climbed to 9.5 percent, which marks the third consecutive month of increases in the unemployment rate.
Our Mission: assist Chicago area men and women who are facing homelessness achieve personal stability by providing a combination of supportive social services and immediate access to gainful employment.
1. Employment: Provide immediate access to a legitimate earned income for any person willing to work; and provide the training and support necessary to help our clients secure stable long-term employment.
2. Housing: Assure that each client is safely and stably housed; and work to move those clients living on the street or in a homeless shelter into non-shelter based housing as quickly as possible.
3. Financial Literacy: Provide each client with the education and support needed to successfully manage their income and expenses so they can achieve personal/financial stability.
Fall 2011 – Client Services Highlights:
• In the first three quarters of 2011 StreetWise served over 325 new clients seeking support in job skills training, housing stability and financial literacy. StreetWise is on track to meet its goal of serving 400 new clients in 2011.
• Of approximately 150 clients who came to StreetWise while living in a homeless shelter, the agency has placed over 100 clients in an apartment, where they are paying some (if not all), of their own rent.
• StreetWise has hired a full time Director of Social Services (with an MSW) to coordinate and expand the quality of services we provide our clients.
• Since the 1st of the year the StreetWise Café, in collaboration with the Salvation Army, has served close to 10,000 meals to our clients. The café operates Monday – Friday from 7 a.m. – 4 p.m., and Saturdays from 9 a.m. – 1 p.m.
The work of StreetWise cannot continue without the help of our donors. Please consider making a donation at this time for our Holiday Appeal. You can mail donations to our office: StreetWise – 4554 N Broadway, Suite 350 – Chicago, Illinois 60640, or donate on our website, at www.streetwise.org/donate/.
I greatly appreciate your support and look forward to keeping you informed of the good work that StreetWise will be doing as we enter our 20th year. Thank you!
1 – http://www.illinoispolicy.org/news/article.asp?ArticleSource=4362
I would greatly appreciate your thoughts and suggestions. You are welcome to contact me at either email@example.com or (773) 334-6600 (ext. 18).
StreetWise Executive Director